From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-03 10:04:33

E. Gladyshev wrote:
> --- Rainer Deyke <rainerd_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> For a GUI library to be useful to me, it would need
>> to support custom
>> physical GUI layers. I would then write my own
> [...]
>> full-screen multimedia. I
>> realize that my needs are unusual, and boost::gui
>> may be unable to
>> accomodate them.
>
> It seems strange to me, why are you willing to give up
> on your requirements. What is so unusual about them? I
> believe boost::gui must accomodate them and it can.
> Your requirements are very reasonable IMHO.

Ok.

>> Nonetheless I also dislike the idea of
>> PhysicalGUILayer as a template
>> parameter to all GUI elements.
>
> PhysicalGUILayer is great for your requirements. Why
> do you dislike it?

There's the compile-time issue, but there's also the physical dependency
between the high-level GUI structure and the physical GUI layer. I would
prefer a system where they are kept independent. This would have the
benefit of allowing the phyisical GUI layer to be specified at runtime.

top_level_window = create_top_level_window();
if (using_wx_windows) {
  wx_gui_layer::run(top_level_windows);
} else {

  win32_gui_layer::run(top_level_windows);
}

>> It violates the
>> principle of Once and Only
>> Once.
>
> You can use a default template parameter for the
> PhysicalGUILayer and define it only once in your
> program.

The GUI code would still be physically bound to a single physical GUI layer.

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd_at_[hidden] - http://eldwood.com