From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 06:33:46

> May I bicycleshedingly suggest
>
> make_directory_hierarchy()

I've been following this discussion, and that is the best suggestion so far.
I think the word "make" or "create" is critical, to show that something
might be created. As someone else said, "demand" suggests an exception or
error code migth be returned if the directory does not exist.

I also like:
    make_directories_as_neccessary()

In one of my own (PHP) libraries I have a function named something like
"my_mkdir()" which creates all parent directories as neccessary, and quietly
returns doing nothing if all directories already exist. That is the
behaviour I expected from mkdir so I had no naming doubts to overcome :-).

Darren