From: Brock Peabody (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-06 14:03:07

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Rainer Deyke
> Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:32 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] Re: GUI/GDI template library
>
> Brock Peabody wrote:
> > Method 1 - common underlying representation method
> >
> > layer 1 - target GUI API
> >
> > layer 2 - low level GUI API interface wrapper. There is one
> > implementation of this wrapper that compiles for all target
platforms,
> > using standard cross-platform development methods. This layer may
be
> > private to boost (in namespace detail).
> >
> > layer 3 - high level boost GUI API. This is the public interface to
> > our
> > GUI 'domain specific sublanguage'. It is implemented on top of
layer
> > 2.
>
> Like I said before, I would need to use a custom layer 1. This means
that
> also have to write a custom layer 2 under both methods. If boost::gui
is
> be useful for me at all, it has to provide layer 3, and the interface
> between layers 2 and 3 has to be public.

If layer 2 is platform independent there is no reason not to make it
public, other than to promote the use of the higher level abstractions
at layer 3.

> Oh, and I really want the ability to select layers 1 and 2 at runtime,
in
> single place in my code, on a per top-level window basis.

Let's just try to get it working first. I don't doubt that we could do
this but is it worth the cost in increased complexity to both the
implementation _and_ the interface?