From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 03:07:04

Joerg Walter wrote:

>> >Doesn't sf have a tracker for patches?

>> >Doesn't sf have a tracker for bugs?
>>
>>Yes, to both but we aren't using them fully and/or properly.
>
> Exactly.
>
>>Also, people
>>post patches and bug reports direct to the mailing lists.
>
> That's probably wrong. They should use a tracker first and then discuss them
> on the mailing lists.

I disagree. I think that we should try to focus information instead of
spreading them around. If we use the CVS-tree for the code, the mailing
list(s) for discussion and regression tests (in CVS) to track bugs, this
should be enought. The regression tests are IMHO superior to
bug-trackers as they provide a much better feedback and are easier to
maintain. Bug-trackers are just administrative overhead in my eyes, YMMV.

Let's make a small survey on what part we should keep and what might be
obsoleted for the future. AFAIK the items to note are:

Mandatory and IMHO not controversal:

- CVS
- Mailing list(s)
- Website
- Releases on SF

Other sources:

- Wiki
- Yahoogroup's files-section
- SF *-tracker

Personally, I'd like to get rid of the latter two. The reason against
the files-section is, that it was very useful in the beginning, but as
we have a main- and a sandbox-CVS and we can use branches on them, there
shouldn't be any need for a files-section any longer. This is also
backuped by the fact that the files-section isn't used as frequently as
in the beginning (AFAICS).

The trackers are IMHO a problem because they require a lot of work. The
current state shows that it is not maintained well, e.g. there are open
bugs which are long closed in CVS, see #451535. Sure we could do better
in theory, but is it worth it? Why not use regression tests to track
bugs? AFAICS people pay a lot of attention to the regression tests and
the whole systems work pretty well.

Also, I hope that it could make the release manager's work easier to
have fewer sources to track :)

OK, what do others think? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with
the SF-trackers?

>>we need
>>to do a certain amount of management to ensure release quality.

I would like to remind you of "KISS". Too much managment can also
decrease quality as it might rule out some people. And I don't think
that we really have a problem in tracking bugs. For features, it's up to
the maintainers to handle this, but it's IMHO better to discuss this on
the list and probably extend the libraries FAQ- or futute-section. No
new system required :)

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology