From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 11:27:21

--- Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> John Maddock wrote:
> |
> | One final point - there was a reason that I moved
> regex to use automatic
> | library selection and ABI fixing - without it I
> was getting a tonne of
> | support requests along the lines of "Your library
> doesn't work, it just
> | crashes when I call anything", which almost always
> turned out to be caused
> | by ODR violations (either the user had changed an
> ABI option, or had
> linked
> | to the wrong runtime-library-build variant), these
> basically stopped
> | overnight once I modified my code to stop those
> (this was all in pre-boost
> | days BTW).
>
> FWIW I do believe that automatic library selection
> is a broken concept
> in praxis. It causes no end of problems when there
> is more than one
> library that does it. In the end you end up with the
> same situation as
> before the user has to know about the different
> runtime libraries and
> how to handle them.
>
> Furthermore I do believe that dependencies should be
> something that the
> programmer is aware of and that they should be
> actively managed by the
> programmer. Automatic library selection hides
> dependencies sometimes up
> to the point that dll's aren't shipped to the
> customer.
>
> Said that I can see your point John.

I agree with John. I'd be much better if boost
provided a clear description on how to build the
library manually. I am having a bunch of problems with
automatic boost builds especially when they include
dlls. I also think that exporting C++ classes is a
broken concept too. It is even worse than the
automatic builds. Just my $0,02

Eugene