From: brock (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 16:39:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob & Lori" <Rob.Lori_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: UI++ [was: GUI sublanguage; Re: GUI/GDI
templatelibrary]

[...]

> However, this means that porting the GUI library to use, say, DirectX
> would be MUCH tougher. Basically you'd need to create EVERY single GUI
> control by scratch. If we instead created the controls by scratch in
> the library just using an abstract draw rectangle, etc, then not only
> would porting to DirectX would be simple, but it would also be much
> easier to port to other platforms as well.

Somewhere along the line someone is going to have to create EVERY single GUI
control from scratch if you don't use native widgets. I don't want to be
that someone :)

The thing is, if you are making an application that doesn't want native
widgets - maybe you're making a game under Direct X - you probably want
totally custom widgets (not boost widgets). If we are doing a good job of
design - our layers are well seperated and encapsulated - it should be easy
for you to use the higher level parts of the library on top of your own
custom widgets. We would also need (as Mr. Bouchard suggested) a cross
platform set of drawing tools.

> Also, keep in mind that building our own controls means we'll have
> instant support for certain controls that may not exist in other
> platforms, such as the common tabbed user interface, or dockable control
> bars used in Visual Studio.

Yes, we have to implement from scratch those controls we want to support
when they are not on a given platform. We should concentrate on those that
are common to all (targeted) platforms first, IMHO.

Think of it this way. Say we want to implement our own custom list control
under windows. Do we make it look like a Win 2000 list control or XP?
When the user finally upgrades to Win 200X your software looks immediately
dated anyway.

Regards,
Brock