From: John Maddock (jm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-09 06:45:06

> Front end localization could change this also, I believe. For instance if
> dll or message catalog substitutes '!' for '$' wouldn't I need to escape
'!'
> instead of '$' in order to use '!' as a literal in an expression ?

Yes, I was afraid you would bring that up :-)

> In this regard it would be helpful if the end-user could obtain back at
> run-time the substitutions that are made due to localization. I didn't see
> this as a function of the regex_traits class reference but maybe it is
> there.

No it's not - the internal data simply isn't structured in a way that allows
that kind of query - however as you yourself said already - the end user
*knows* what the special characters are (if they have been changed).

The worst case scenario: the user has substituted a traits class that uses
different characters for the \ x { and } regular characters, so that escape
sequences like: \x{32} don't work anymore.

John