From: Rob & Lori (Rob.Lori_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-09 09:05:12

David B. Held wrote:

>"Rob & Lori" <Rob.Lori_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>

>>brock wrote:

Actually I used the DirectX example both because someone else brought up
whether Boost.GUI could be extended to use it, and I believe Eugene said
something along the lines of "why not"? And of course, I happen dabble
in games so it sure would help me out. ;)

That being said, I don't think the library should be written with
DirectX compatibility in mind, but rather to make it easy to port to
other platforms, even ones they may not already have native GUI controls.

Either way we do it you could still use Boost.GUI with DirectX (which is
a good thing) but it just makes it a LOT tougher if the programmer must
create all GUI controls in DirectX first.

>What if, instead, we provided a "Layer 0" in which all this custom
>widget business could be implemented by those with the time and
>resources to do so? So what would happen is that Layer 1 sees
>a *native GUI API*. It makes calls into that API, and essentially
>provides a more or less platform-independent C++ interface to it
>that adds whatever nice features we deem appropriate. So it
>seems to me that the Layer 0 could be WinAPI or maybe Qt or
>Xlib or Boost.Widget. Would that make it sufficiently practical
>to then port the library to DirectX?

That would be a bare minimum way of doing things, I guess. I mean, it
definately makes it easier on us when creating Boost.GUI, but I'm still
not sure it's the "right" way of doing things. I mean, anyone who wants
a GUI in DirectX or OpenGL must do all the work themselves, with the
library just giving them an interface to interact with it, but
apparently that's what everyone seems to want.

>>[...]
>>Well, if it's going to happen I think it would be best if the Boost
>>community does this as part of the library, rather than requiring
>>it's users to impelent this EVERY single time they want to use
>>the Boost GUI lib for a platform it doesn't already support.
>>

>But I think the point is not for Boost.GUI to *provide* a GUI, but
>rather to provide a *C++ interface* to a GUI. Writing a GUI is
>hard enough. Writing a C++ interface to a GUI is hard enough.
>Let's not try to bite off more than we can chew yet. ;>

Well, if this is what everyone thinks Boost.GUI should be used for, then
you're right.

>>[...]
>>I don't see the need for totally custom widgets for a Direct X
>>game. You may want a custom look and feel, which could be
>>accomplished if the Boost GUI lib was written is such away
>>that you could change the 'skin' to match a particular platform
>>or even allow you to write a custom skins.
>>

>I think this should be accomplished with the Boost.Widget library,
>which it sounds like you are volunteering to help write. ;> Then
>you will have your JVM competitor with which to provide
>skinnable widgets.

I'm willing to help in any way with the project, although I already have
my plate full with work and two other programming side jobs. I think I
need to just quit my job to help work on Boost full time or something. ;)

>>And this brings up another point. What if users DO want to
>>change how a control functions? If we use the native widgets,
>>users are unable to change this.
>>

>I think that's a *good* thing. Why doesn't the OS let you change
>it? We'll use whatever excuse they're using. ;>

Well, Win32, for example, allows you to change this, but it requires you
handling much of the drawing of the control manually. There has been
many times in my job that I've needed to tweak the way a control works
to fit our project better. But if we just use native GUI controls then
users will be unable to modify this unless they dig down into the
platform specific GUI code. But then of course this makes the that GUI
control platform specific!

So basically, if Boost.GUI uses the native GUI API then users either
can't modify the way works or even create new controls without breaking
the multi-platform support.

This may be acceptable to most of the programmers out there, but
unfortunately it isn't for me. :/

>> Instead, they'd have to write platform specific code to create
>>an entirely new widget, and this must be done for all platforms
>>you would use this contorl in.
>>

>Or, they'd have to create a widget set for Boost.Widget, and
>then it would be portable.

Well, this may work for new controls, but what if the user wants to
change the way an existing control looks? He or she could create/use
Boost.Widget to, say, change the color of the highlight bar in the List
control from blue to red. Sure, Boost.Widget could allow this to be
easily changed, but the user would still need to create functions for
changing this in the actual interface to Boost.GUI. But if they add
functions to that interface, then Boost.GUI would break when compiling
using any Layer 0 classes other than Boost.Widget.

>>However, if Boost imeplements controls from scratch then all
>>users would have full control over how a control functions and it
>>would be the same for all operating systems.
>>

>Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the basic design
>for Boost.Widget. ;)

Hehe, you're killing me man, you really are. ;)

>>[...]
>>Either way we go there are pros and cons, it's just my opinion
>>that building the controls from scratch will give us much more
>>control and flexibility and make it easier to port to other
>>platforms.
>>

>And it's my opinion that building controls from scratch is the
>wrong level of abstraction for a doable project which provides a
>consistent C++ interface to GUIs. One of the great things about
>C++ is that it knows it is a computer language, and not an OS,
>so it doesn't pretend to be an OS (like, *ahem*, other "modern"
>languages). Using the native GUI, widget set and all, just *feels*
>like the "C++ Way". C++ doesn't tell you how your terminal is
>supposed to behave, so why should Boost.GUI tell you how your
>widgets behave? Instead, C++ says: "Let it be", and so should
>we. ;> If we want to create a universal GUI, let's do so in another
>library, and make sure that the two can play together nicely.

Sigh, it sounds like pretty much everyone is of this same opinion. Sure
it makes a nice C++ interface, but it doesn't allow much extensibility, IMO.

Rob Geiman