From: Joerg Walter (jhr.walter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-10 23:22:33

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 11:58 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Release Manager's Checklist added

[...]

> >> I disagree. I think that we should try to focus information instead of
> >> spreading them around.
> >
> > That's exactly what a tracker is good for IMHO.
>
> Yes, agreed. One big problem though is that the SF trackers kinda
> suck. I'd be interested in trying something else, like
> http://roundup.sourceforge.net/

Interestingly enough they seem to use the SF trackers for their own bugs
;-). But the more important question probably is if there are any volunteers
providing an alternative tracker for us?

[...]

> >> The trackers are IMHO a problem because they require a lot of work.
> >
> > That could be, yes.
>
> Yeah, but that might just be the SF trackers. We don't have to use
> them as-is.

Quality assurance simply is a lot of work.

> >> The current state shows that it is not maintained well, e.g. there
> >> are open bugs which are long closed in CVS, see #451535. Sure we
> >> could do better in theory, but is it worth it? Why not use
> >> regression tests to track bugs? AFAICS people pay a lot of
> >> attention to the regression tests and the whole systems work pretty
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Also, I hope that it could make the release manager's work easier to
> >> have fewer sources to track :)
> >
> > In my opinion it should be easier for the release manager to look
> > into the tracker than to follow *all* mailing list traffic.
>
> Yeah. Also, you can't always get people who find bugs to make
> reproducible test cases in a form that integrates with the regression
> suite.

OK, I'd be willing to spend some time working with the SF trackers in the
near future (assumed we don't change the tracking system).

> >> OK, what do others think? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable
with
> >> the SF-trackers?
>
> Nope; I dislike them also. That doesn't mean trackers in general are
> a bad idea.

I'd still be interested to hear some more opinions, especially user's.

Thanks,
Joerg