From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-11 09:01:06

Larry Evans wrote:
> Alexander Nasonov wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> The following post:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/boost/1593756

There's also:

http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg46513.php

indicating some interest in combining thread safety and
decoration. It seems to me (a novice in threading) that
what needs to be protected is the access to the end
of the pipeline, i.e. the final streambuf, which is
connected to the actual output medium (a file, or console or
pipe). Hence, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to
combine the two in a ostream class. I confess I haven't
looked at your code, but I think it would be nice if
somehow it could be streambuf thread safety could be separated
from the {o,i}stream features which are only concerned with
formatting. Does that make sense?