From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-13 18:57:38

I finally had some time to try this out ... the .zip flavor:
and came away confused
=========
Installation...step 2.
>>Place the Boost.Jam binary, called "bjam" or "bjam.exe", somewhere in
your PATH. Verify that correct bjam is being executed by running "bjam
--version". You should get

       Boost.Build V2 (Milestone N)

not what I get. bjam starts running and complains about syntax errors...
even when I get it building boost (V1 by default) it never gives me a version.
============
Installation---step 3
>>Configure toolsets to use. Open new/user-config.jam file and follow
instructions there to specify what compiles/libraries you have and where
they are located.

I'm not sure what "instructions" are being referred to here..but I un
commented the line saying:
using msvc;

============
Installation...step 4
>>You should now be able to go to examples-v2/hello, and run bjam there. A
simple application will be built. You can also play with other projects in
examples-v2

C:\Projects\boost\boost-build\examples-v2\hello>bjam
C:/Projects/boost/boost-build/tools\boostbook.jam:86: in boostbook.init
*** argument error
* rule path.make ( native )
* called with: ( )
* missing argument native
C:/Projects/boost/boost-build/new\path.jam:42:see definition of rule
'path.make' being called
C:/Projects/boost/boost-build/new\toolset.jam:22: in using
C:\Projects\boost\boost-build\examples-v2\../new\user-config.jam:58: in
modules.load
C:/Projects/boost/boost-build\build-system.jam:55: in load
C:\Projects\boost\boost-build\examples-v2\..\kernel\modules.jam:296: in import
C:\Projects\boost\boost-build\examples-v2\..\kernel\bootstrap.jam:122: in
boost-build
C:\Projects\boost\boost-build\examples-v2\boost-build.jam:2: in module scope

I'm clueless
build boost:
C:\Projects\boost>bjam --version --v2 "-sTOOLS=vc7.1"
C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\kernel\modules.jam:203: in normalize-raw-paths
rule NORMALIZE_PATH unknown in module modules.
C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\kernel\modules.jam:252: in import
C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\kernel\bootstrap.jam:50: in boost-build
C:\Projects\boost\boost-build.jam:12: in module scope

Was I supposed to copy more of the files someplace??