From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-16 15:31:50

> >"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I am not sure that it should be the responsibility of the path class to
>> enforce some notion of portability.

I haven't been following this whole discussion, but I'll chime in here b/c
I believe some of this might be partially due to comments I made during
initial development. The basic scenario for this is:
1) I'm developing a script-like application that manipulates files. In
particular it generates a bunch of file and pathnames.
2) I'd like to develop this on one platform and expect that it will port to
others without modification.

Therefore, I want the library to help me with this by helping me aviod non-
portable paths. Of course if I'm developing for a single platform then I
don't need this. I think the current design does this pretty nicely.

Jeff