From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-17 16:33:53

Sorry about the long post, but that seemed the easiest way.

numeric_limits::digits10 does what it says - the number that are _guaranteed_ to
be correct on output,
but that isn't what one usually wants for all _significant_ on input (and I
suggest again another numeric_limits::significant_digits10 which is what you get
from the formaula below).

But you are right that it would be better to check that numeric_limits::digits
exists and isn't something silly before using the formula. With all the
built-in floating point types it should be fine, and for other (well) User
defined floating point types too. (I will look at this).

But using +3 instead would be 1 decimal digit too many for most of the FP types.
Since it is done at compile time, getting it 'just right' with the formula below
shouldn't cost anything at run-time.

Incidentally a suitable sort of test is

float const aFloat = any_value;

if (aFloat != lexical_cast<float>(lexical_cast<string>(aFloat )))
(
// problem
}

I think from previous experience that this can be shown to be true for ALL
possible float values (for 32 bit representations) but it would take too long to
test all doubles (assuming 64 bit representation).

HTH

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]