From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-21 08:14:24

Ulrich Eckhardt <uli_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 20:41, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
>> This is my first attempt to build Boost 1.30.2 on FreeBSD with gcc 3.2
>> installed.
>
> Debian 3.0/x86 here.
>
>> The command:
>> $ tools/build/jam_src/bin.freebsd/bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc"
>> builds Boost using the default gcc and g++ compilers. Following the
>> docs, I tried to do:
>>
>> $ tools/build/jam_src/bin.freebsd/bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" "-sGXX=g++32"
>> "-sGCC=gcc32"
>>
>> but I can see that still the default versions are used.
>
> Same problem here, using both 1.30.0 and 1.30.2.
>
> I have found a workaroud, it consists of deactiating two lines in
> gcc-tools.jam:
> flags gcc GXX : $(GXX) ;
> flags gcc GCC : $(GCC) ;
>
> When these two are commented, the build uses the explicitly given compiler.

This problem has been correctly fixed in the CVS HEAD for quite some
time.

> I also 'fixed' a totally different related problem, that boost is
> totally ignorant of the compiler-version as far as gcc is
> concerned. In order to build different versions for different GCCs,
> I simply copied gcc-tools.jam to gcc-3.2-tools.jam.

There's a better way. Using the CVS HEAD version of gcc-tools.jam
you can simply build an additional toolset like this:

# gcc2-tools.jam
{
    local GXX = g++-2 ;
    local GCC = gcc-2 ;
    extends-toolset gcc ;
}

> Hmm, maybe these things are only tangentially on-topic here, since there is a
> jamboost-mailinglist.

Yes.

> However, I remember trying to subscribe to it, but was
> kept off by
> - the sheer amount of personal information yahoo wants to collect
> - the fact that their crappy webinterface requires java for some parts
> I can imagine that being asked defore, but isn't there a way to either loosen
> these restrictions or move to a sane provider for MLs ?

Yes, we could move jamboost to a SF mailing list. I didn't realize
that yahoogroups was causing such problems. Any opinions over there?

> cheers
> Uli
>

> P.S. What I just found out to work is accessing that list via the gmane nntp
> access (haven't tested posting yet though).

Yes, that's the way I read it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting