From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-24 15:23:47

"Daron Anderson" <dnanderson_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote in message ...
>>
>>Something I've been meaning to add to more/error_handling.html since
>>last fall was just added:
>>
>> Use virtual inheritance. This insight is due to Andrew Koenig. Using
>> virtual inheritance from your exception's base class(es) prevents
>> ambiguity problems at the catch-site in case someone throws an
>> exception derived from multiple bases which have a base class in
>> common:
>>
>> #include <iostream>
>> struct my_exc1 : std::exception { char const* what() throw(); };
>> struct my_exc2 : std::exception { char const* what() throw(); };
>> struct your_exc3 : my_exc1, my_exc2 {};
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> try { throw your_exc3(); }
>> catch(std::exception const& e) {}
>> catch(...) { std::cout << "whoops!" << std::endl; }
>> }
>>
>> The program above prints "whoops" because the C++ runtime can't
>> resolve which exception instance to match in the first catch
>> clause.
>>

> Maybe I am not seeing this from the right perspetive, but wouldn't a better
> design guideline be not to use multiple inheritance at all in an exception
> hierarchy? I do not see any reason that any exception would have an IS-A
> relationship with any two parent classes. I view an exception of being a
> very specific error, but multiple inheritance implies that the exception is
> simultaneously two types of errors.
>
> As an example, I would personally never derive an exception from both
> std::logic_error and std::runtime_error. The exception either occurs as a
> runtime error (due to unexcpected runtime behavior) or is an error in the
> logic of some developers code (probably happening because some child class
> has a bug in it that a base class was guarding against.)
>
> This inability to catch the exception simply underscores why multiple
> inheritance is frowned apon in general (aside from an occasional mixin
> class.)

Err, I can't agree that MI is generally frowned upon, and this
problem with exception catching has little to do with ordinary MI
problems that people run into. On the other hand...

> Is my thinking on this issue too limited?

Maye not; someone else has been making pretty good arguments in
private that this guideline is misguided; I'm thinking of retracting
it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting