From: Paul Hamilton (paul_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-24 21:01:12

Samuel Krempp wrote:

> ok, I'll commit that on monday. I had made the empty string as a
> static
> variable hoping it could help avoid re-allocating memory for the
> temporary strings, but it doesnt seem to, so it's best to simplify that
> anyway.
>
> But, for curiosity, isn't this static-variable in function supposed to
> work here, according to the standard ?

Yes,

This is supposed to work correctly. My problem is that I'm stuck with a
fairly buggy compiler+linker (gcc 3.1+ld on mac OS X), but I still want
to use the bits of boost that I possibly can use.

Originally I started to work on a mmuch larger patch that left the
static variable in, but worked around it for my compiler, but then I
realised that the static is not really needed anyway, and removing
it was trivial. So do you write a complicated patch when you can simply
clean up the code that doesn't work?

The basic problem is that on this compiler, the "common global
variable" thing doesn't work for shared libraries. It's actually a
problem with ld on this platform.

Paul.
Paul Hamilton
pHamtec P/L - Software Makers