From: Michael van der Westhuizen (Michael.vanderWesthuizen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-26 06:17:11

We do a regular merge of branch changes into HEAD in our
source at work.

So far I've had a sum-total of 1 conflict...

Things to remember when merging:
  * where possible ignore whitespace
  * suppress keyword expansion
  * keep your sync tags well documented

I based our process at work on the following document:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/sys/Attic/README.SMP?re
v=1.1.2.9&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=SMP

(you're probably going to have to paste that back together)

We used to have a huge problem with bringing changes
from one version into another (missing code etc.), but
the semi-automated merge process is much more reliable.

One word of warning: committers should think carefully
about what they put in commit messages. The person doing
the merge can resolve conflicts more easily if the
changes (and their intent) is well documented.

/Michael