From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-26 20:42:28

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > I am afraid that some of the boost libraries (as they are now) won't
> > work for a big group of real time and embedded developers, where
> > customization is the key.
>
> Is it really (other than culturally, I mean)?

The culture is changing. :)

> Are you sure that
> there's no good general-purpose allocator which they can use?

Yes, I am sure. I shipped one of my libraries to a guy who
works on various DSP chips. The native memory allocator
on one of the DSP was very slow (some specific issues with
how the DSP addresses the memory, I don't remember the details).

This guy had to add his own new/delete operator to some of
my internal classes to get about 10 times performance improvement.

No, I really don't think that there is a hope for general purpose allocators.

Eugene