From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-27 11:01:48

The Filesystem Library has been updated in CVS with a much more usable name
checking mechanism. It allows complete user control including both library
supplied and user supplied name checkers. The default name check can be
specified, and it can be overridden on a per constructor basis.

The path and portability documentation has been updated, and new test cases
have been added. In particular, the path constructor documentation is much
more complete. The name checking functions have been refined to closer
match the realities of modern operating systems.

In general, these changes should not break existing code. There are some
exceptions:

* The type of "native" changed, so any code which depended on a specific
type will fail to compile. That should be pretty uncommon, however.

* Some code which had been working mistakenly will now throw an exception.
This bit me, but it was a trivial error in my code and easy to fix.

If any code breaks that isn't an error on your part, please report it. One
of the downsides of allowing more user control over name checking is that
it can be turned off as a workaround. But I'd very much like to know of any
cases where the error checking is erroneously throwing an exception, so it
can be analyzed and fixed.

Thanks,

--Beman