From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-28 05:51:02

> I think the decision was wrong. I think neither makes
> sense as default. I mean, it depends on the application
> whether single or multi threading is required. So why
> not build single _and_ multi threaded libs. Just like
> the default build results in 'debug' and 'release' libs.

Agree completely

> Concerning Linux. I want to copy the libs to /usr/local/lib
> so I can conveniently link against them. This basically
> means the four variants should have different names.
> (actually, I think by default a debug build is useless,
> so I don't care if debug and release libs will have the
> same names).

There has been some discussion on this over on the Jamboost list (look for
subjects involving "install" or "common subdir"), if you want to try this
out for yourself, then switch boost-root/Jamfile over to the
"build_for_distribution" branch (or get it from:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/boost/boost/Jamfile you will
need the latest cvs source for some other sources to make use of this
though).

John.