From: Samuel Krempp (krempp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-11 08:39:03

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 03:44, Eric Friedman wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > click on the weak_ptr.hpp link, expecting to go to the header's
> > documentation. IMO there's no reason to expose (link to) the details
> > of the implementation in the docs at all, but if we really feel it's
> > important, it shouldn't be on the front page of the docs.
> > </irk>
>
> BoostBook-generated documentation behaves similarly (though the links are
> not on the front page). I've long wondered why. Perhaps we should think
> about changing it as well?
>
> Eric

I agree that linking to source files on the front page got me. several
times I just wanted to go look at the docs, I clicked on a source link
instead while actually wanting to reach the doc for a given pointer.

But IMO having links to the sources somewhere is a good point though.
Sometimes you want to know a very precise point about the implementation
of the library, or just get a glance at it.
Of course, the docs -in a perfect world- would be all a potential user
needs to see to know all about the library, and those that came to
understand how it works can still access the sources in the web CVS
interface.
But one might not think about going to web CVS interface, or might even
not know about it..

The way I see it, linking to sources somewhere gives a possibility,
while requiring those who want to see them to use the CVS web mostly
wastes time.

use-the-source-luke'ly yours,

--
Samuel