From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-17 17:12:45

David Abrahams wrote:
> I still question the legality of licensing by reference to text which
> may change dynamically. And it may have a chilling effect. It's not
> just the authors who might be nervous, but the users as well. If you
> were a corporate lawyer, would *you* OK the use of source code whose
> license might change at any time without notice? I believe users must
> be allowed to continue to use the code under the *original* licensing
> terms they agreed to.

[L]GPL software is usually licensed under "[L]GPL version X or higher".
This strikes me as the best of both worlds: users only need to read one
license, and that license is guaranteed not to change silently. Developers
have to categorically accept all later versions of the Boost license, but
can otherwise ignore licensing issues.

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd_at_[hidden] - http://eldwood.com