From: Geoff Leyland (gley001_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-18 16:37:35

Last year I saw an article in New Scientist about a new method of
checking primes developed by two undergrads at the IIT in Kanpur,
India. I can't remember all the details, but it was quite a
breakthrough, and a quick google reveals that the American Institute of
Mathematics thinks it's ok, and gives the names of the researchers:

http://aimath.org/release_goldston.html

> Goldston's presentation on Friday, March 28, will come at a timely
> moment. Some of the world's leading mathematicians will be in Palo
> Alto for a brainstorming session on Algorithmic Number Theory. The
> conference, one of a series to be hosted by AIM over the next few
> years, was assembled to examine and possibly extend the recent
> breakthrough in primality testing announced last year by computer
> scientist Manindra Agrawal of the Indian Institute of Technology in
> Kanpur, and his students Neeraj Kayal and Nitin Saxena.

Papers with their names in turn up all over citeseer.

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?submit=Documents&q=Agrawal-Saxena-
Kayal+algorithm

As I remember, the algorithm was presented in the new scientist
article, so it shouldn't be hard to find out how to do it.

cheers,
goof