From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-19 07:38:34

Robert,

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:30:50 -0400

> >I've been able to build the library in release mode successfully as well.
>
> Does this include running all the tests?

No, just the Library itself. I'm new to using bjam, so I'll need to study up
on modifying the jamfile/command line arguments to run the full test suite
for release build. Any hints?

> The bjam tools for VC release build don't seem to include the /Gy switch
> (enable function level linking). This is important to me for making
keeping
> executables small. Unfortunately I've had problems in the past where this
> through away "too much" code resulting in runtime problems.

Runtime or Linktime?

> >Although I'm not able to directly archive shared_ptr<>'s. I get the
following compilation error
> >attempting to compile demo_shared_ptr:
>
> Same thing happens on my 7.0 system. Investigation reveals that code has
been
> broken. Its not hard to fix and I will included a fixed version in draft
# 13. In
> fact, I plan to add the demos to the test set via a wrapper.

Looking forward to seeing #13!

> >I've found a problem with binary_archive missing archive header
information.
> >The same text_archive starts with: "22 serialization::archive 2 0 0 0 0
24"
> >where the last 24 is the count of std::strings for a
std::set<std::string>
> >with 24 entries. In the binary_archive there are two NULL bytes before
the
> >24(0x18).
>
> well binary files render 0 values as NULL bytes so that is not surpising.
> was there any indication that there was a problem? was the archvie
readable?

The binary archive stores w/out complaint, but when loading the binary
archive:

<debug message>
    Degub Error!

    ... basic_binary_iarchive.hpp
    Line: 90

    Run-time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'x' was corrupted.
</debug message>

This is in loading the preamble which appears to be missing in the binary
archive that was written. Would the binary preamble contain the binary
equivalent of the text archive preamble? I can try editing this into the
archived file to see if it is able to be loaded.

Thanks, Jeff