From: Michael van der Westhuizen (Michael.vanderWesthuizen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-22 04:36:18

I've found it a lot faster on HP-UX, Tru64 and SunOS (all with gcc).

The machines in question don't have a shortage of RAM though (a
few spare GB of RAM could make all the difference in the world!),
and disk I/O is not really a bottleneck.

Given a reasonable amount of RAM one could probably look at the
average amount of RAM taken by compiling a translation unit and
adjust -jN to free RAM / that number. To if one has 512MB you
could probably use -j2 happily (even with the more deeply nested
templates).

On a slightly different topic: I do have access to some higher-end
hardware - if anybody wants me to test specific code for 64bit and
little endian vs. big endian portability, just let me know.

Michael