From: Keith MacDonald (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-01 04:52:47

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your constructive criticism. I've now changed the iterators,
following your advice, and it looks a much neater solution, if only I could
make it work :-(

I've got a simple loop, like this:

 container3 c3;
 for (container3::const_iterator it = c3.begin(),
  it != c3.end();
  ++it)
 { ... }

For reasons I don't understand, the compiler resolves c3.end() to a
container3::iterator, for the not equal test, and then spews out a "could
not deduce template argument" error, for the member function equal, which is
too long to include here. I've zipped it up, along with the header and test
source files, and uploaded it here:

 ftp://69.57.152.66/pub/tmp/itertest.zip (2.2KB)

If you have the time, please will you have a quick look to see what I've
done wrong.

Thanks,
Keith

"Thomas Witt" <witt_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> Keith,
>
> Keith MacDonald wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > I couldn't have begun to tackle the problem without your advice, but
even
> > then I battled with obscure compiler error messages for a long time,
before
> > I got it working. Would you mind taking a critical look at the finished
> > class (below), to make sure I got it right?
>
> Almost ;-).
>

> > One query I have about the implementation of iterator_facade is why the
> > iterator -> const_iterator conversion constructors, and the equal and
> > distance_to members take value, rather than reference parameters.
There's