From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-03 17:59:31

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Now you might not agree with the model of object-level locking, and indeed
> it falls short for transactions involving multiple objects. Is that the
> case? In that case locking_ptr can never have any value because it helps
> object-level locking only.

That was my biggest concern about it. If you buy into the SGI STL
philosophy that object locking is almost always wrong because it makes
you pay for a mutex even if you need another to manage a group of
objects (you might not buy that), does locking_ptr still have
usefulness?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting