From: Jim.Hyslop (Jim.Hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-08 11:21:16

Jaakko Jarvi [mailto:jajarvi_at_[hidden]] wrote:
> In our last exciting episode David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > Only the sandbox version carries a boost compatible
> license. This is
> > > to avoid the repackaging effort. The final version will
> carry the boost
> > > license as the files in the sandbox do. So the license is
> a non-issue as
> > > far as this review goes.
> > > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> > Well, not quite.
>
> > > // Copyright 2003 © The Trustees of Indiana University.
> All rights reserved.
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > This part is incompatible with the Boost license requirements.
>
> Is it? I can't find anything in the Boost license guide. Is there
> an exact definition for the copyright somewhere?

[...]
> In any case, it's part of the copyright statement, not the license.
Although I'm not sure whether the phrase "All rights reserved" is old lingo
and redundant, I'd agree with your final assessment (IANAL). All software
licenses I've seen start with that phrase, then proceed to outline exactly
what privileges the user has.

One question, though - is the license file enable_if_LICENSE in the .zip
file (http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jajarvi/tmp/enable_if.zip) the same as the one
in the sandbox? If it is, then there is a problem with clause 2 - it
requires the copyright to be redistributed with binaries, which is
incompatible with the Boost requirements at
http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#License.

--
Jim