From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-09 10:12:07

Peter Dimov wrote:
[...]
> OK. You want to use an exception specification that does not contain
> thread_cancel_request as "syntactic sugar" for disable_cancelation. Why is
> ES better than RAII in this context?

ES should have no runtime cost other than some extra info for the
search phase. OTOH, enable/disable burns cycles (keystrokes aside
for a moment) no matter whether you hit some cancelation point
*with cancel request pending* or not. Well, there's a downside...
of course. It is just an additional/alternative tool, so to speak.

> What makes this technique useful for
> other situations that involve a different kind of exception?

I'll really need a drink or two for some inspiration, I'm afraid.

regards,
alexander.