From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-10 21:06:20

--- Eric Friedman <ebf_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[...]
> Since the value of v is in general wholly unspecified, it seems to me
> that the only way to ensure meaningful content for v is another
> assignment. This suggests to me that a singular variant is no worse than
> one with unspecified content.

I think that debugging programs with singular variants
is much simpler than with variants with unspecified content.
If you allow unspecified content, in practice you would
have to catch unspecified data for all types in your variants
instead of just one case of a singular variant.
If you don't catch well formed but unspecified content,
the program might appear running just fine for years.
Programmer's worst nightmare. :)

Eugene