From: Hugo Duncan (hugoduncan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-15 11:11:28

Deane Yang <deane_yang_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I would like to see a core library that does the following:
[snipped requirements]

> After that, a physics or SI units library could easily be built on
> top of this. I think (but this might be wishful thinking) that building
> the SI library on top of the core library will impose no serious
> overhead on the SI library.

One of the design criteria I would like to see is a clear distinction
between dimensional analysis and units.

Dimensional analysis is useful in and of itself, without any concept of
units. In most numerical simulation work (that I know of) the
computation assumes self consistent units, rendering the units
uninteresting. I think that we should have a dimensional analysis
library with no units.

The units library could then be implemented indpendently of the dimensional
analysis.

The quantity class would then combine the dimensional analysis and units
as required, prefereably with a well defined interface for plugging
different units libraries.

Hugo