From: Daniel Spangenberg (dsp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-20 03:01:08

Hello Boosters,

After reading the documentation of boost.thread I am aware, that it
(currently)
does not provide read/write mutexes.

Question is: Can I use the current thread library to realize a
read/write mutex (accepting
multiple readers from different threads but prevents writer from access)
on my own?
If so, how should I do this? If this would help to give a more precise
answer: My
target platform is Win32, although a generic solution would be
wunderful, of course ;-))
(More worse: It must be a mutex accessible/protectable from threads of
different
processes...).

My assumption is, that I could use *one* single mutex for both read and
write access
and probably a kind of reader counter (similar to recursive_mutex), is
that right?

Yes, I know, that this question is probably not **really** appropriate
for this group, but
maybe you can tell me, *where* I should ask this question?

Thank you and apologies for the noise,

Daniel Spangenberg