From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-20 19:03:13

> 1. Leave it as it is. Copy variants has suffix _copy, mutable none.
>
> 2. Change the naming so that copy variants are default, and mutable variants have suffix _inplace

As suggest by Phil Nash, there was also copy variants has suffix _copy,
mutable variants have suffix _inplace. Compared to 1 and 2
   + No confusion about what will happen in either case.
   - More verbose.

I like this best. I use C++ for its efficiency, and am not afraid of typing
a few extra characters to avoid confusion and bugs that result from them.

The namespace idea has the disadvantage that a programmer who always does
_copy or always does _inplace would declare the namespace in a header file,
and looking at the code I then cannot see which is being used, and will have
to search all header files.

> 5. Declare common class for all algorithms a.k.a enhanced std::string

Apologies for that - I was suggesting something that would be nice to have
once the string algorithms library has been accepted, not a solution for the
copy vs. mutable issue.

Darren