From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-22 13:51:09

I (and others) also expressed the prejudice that all are kept as their base
unit, now that 'everyone' is using at least 64-bit doubles in their calculations
(which is enough to keep everyone except the astronomers in the exponent range.
And the significand precision available (15-ish decimal digits) is ample for all
physical measurements.

Obviously 'everyone' excludes those like toaster designers who must struggle
with much smaller (if any) floating point, ranges and precision. For them, your
solution is probably best, but for a more general purpose library like Boost, it
may not be preferred.

Hopefully we can find a solution which caters for both.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]