From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-22 14:36:34

Boosters,

We (Beman and I) would like to try and get the new build and install
procedure working for the 1.31.0 release. But to do that we need to do some
testing of it, and what it produces, started as soon as possible. So I'm
asking for help from you to try out the new procedure. I'm writting some
docs for this but before those are ready here's a short explanation of what
to do...

In CVS, the only difference is to get the "build_for_distribution" branch of
BOOST_ROOT/Jamfile.

While at the BOOST_ROOT...

    bjam --help

Will give a short exaplanation of the options. The syntax is meant to be
familiar to the hoard of "configure" trained users out there ;-)

For testing a build I would suggest doing something like:

    bjam -sTOOLS=cwpro8 --with-python-root=c:\python22 stage

That will produce all the buildable targets in the BOOST_ROOT/stage/lib
directory. If you can make the log available for others to see that would be
wonderfull :-) I made space for such logs in the SF web server if people
don't have their own space:

    http://www.boost.org/build-logs

Even though testing the build itself is most important, it would be good to
test the install procedure. For that using the "install" target, and
possibly specifying something other than the default install location:

    bjam -sTOOLS=cwpro8 --with-python-root=c:\python22
--prefix=c:\boost-install-test install

Thanks in advance :-)

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq