From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 02:13:57

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:30:51AM -0700, Jeff Garland wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:33:59 +0200, Pavol Droba wrote
> > > Now for a few new issues:
> > > 1) Any reason why we can't put all functions in namespace
> > > boost::string_algo
> > > (or boost::algorithm::string)? I found it a little tricky to
> > > figure out which things were boost versus string_algo.
> >
> > There are more resons for separation of functions in different namespaces.
> >
> > - First is a logical decomposition.
> > Ordinary user should be able to find all functionality
> > in the namespace boost...more deleted...
>
> Yes, I read that in the documentation. But what I'm saying is that my 'usage'
> experience didn't match with this decomposition. When I have a string
> processing problem to solve I don't want to have to figure out what to figure
> these layers out, that's all.

eigher you will have to figure out what namespace to use, or you will have learn
different names for the algorithms ...

[snip]

> I think if you are going to do this you should have
> boost/string_algo/find.hpp //top layer stuff
> boost/string_algo/string_algo/find.hpp //lower layer? stuff
> or something to flag separate that layer. It seems pretty clear from the
> implementation though that I'll never have to include find2.hpp directly since
> it is already included for me by find.hpp.

It the algorithm library will be adopted, string_algo will became a part of it.
then the structure of namespaces and headers would be:

boost
  algorithm
    string_algo
      detail

Then all algorithms from boost namespace contained in the string_algo library
will be moved to the algorithm namespace. Similary for boost::string_algo.

Headers could follow this structure. So f.e. boost/string_algo/find.hpp will go
to boost/algorithm/find.hpp and boost/string_algo/find2 will go to boost/algorithm/string_algo/find.hpp

Regards,

Pavol