From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 11:44:56

>How can I store raw binary data with the serialization library? I have a class
>which keeps an int* pointer and the size of the pointed data, and I'd like to
>make it serializable. There's

> void write_binary(const void *address, size_t count)

>method in archieve implementation, but it's only mentined in docs as member of
>some class and I could not find any description about what it does.

You've got the right idea. Its currently implemented only for binary archives. Its
usage is ar.write_binary to stuff data into archives and ar.read_binary to suck data
out.

For text and XML archives I want to render binary data as base64. XML requires
a little extra work to wrap in XML syntax. Its almost done so I believe so I don't
believe you'll have long to wait. If you need an immediate temporary resolution
let me know and I'll offer some suggestions.

By the way. The library as reviewed last november implemente read/write binary
as just inserting the binary data. It was you that pointed out that for text
archives it would be more appropriatly rendered as a text like format
such as base64. I was immediatly convinced. Just proves that no good deed goes unpunished.

Robert Ramey