From: Jessie Hernandez (jessie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-24 00:02:53

Wynand Winterbach wrote:

> There is a myriad of socket frameworks in the members area.
> Are any of them stable and usable?
> I really don't feel like going through each and every one.
> Any recommendations?
>
> I have tried the CommonCPP sockets, but I find them somewhat
> unsatisfactory. Also, I thought socket++ was worthwhile, but
> it just didn't work too well in the end.
>
> --Wynand

Well, I just finished uploading a new version of my "socketstream" classes
(which has been renamed to be in "boost::net"). It is in the Yahoo files
section under the "socketstream" folder (net-20031024-1.tar.gz ).

The library is not complete, but it is in a (IMHO) pretty usable state.
There are several things that I need to do for this library, which include:

- Improve documentation. I have to document all the undocumented classes and
provide examples in the docs (hopefully this will be done soon). Also, I'd
like to provide a "rationale" page on why the classes were designed this
way.
- Finish writing a few classes (such as server_socket and the local_socket
"emulation" partialization for Windows).
- Provide more test unit functions.

The library has been tested on both Windows 2000/MSVC 6 and RH Linux 9/gcc
3.2.2 and the tests run fine on both platforms.

I'd like to get feedback on the current state of the library and see what
can be improved (I'm mostly interested in the design aspect). Forgive me
for not providing example programs up front, but I hope to add this soon
(for now, the test.cpp file provides a few samples). Thanks.

--
Jessie Hernandez