From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-28 15:44:21

when I build the test and filesystem libraries I get the following tree

boost-dir
 bin
  boost
   filesystem
    build
     libboost_filesystem.lib
      vc7
       debug
        libboost_filesystem.lib
       release
        libboost_filesystem.lib
   test
    build
     libboost_prg_exec_monitor.lib
      vc7
       debug
        runtime_link_static
         theading-multi
          libboost_prg_exec_monitor.lib
         threading-muli // note empty directory

I have a couple of complaints about this:

a) there are extra empty threading-multi directories
This isn't a big problem itself - it just shakes my
confidence.

b) The final locations of the libraries seems to
be a side effect to the jamfile targets chosen.
Its very hard tor anyone without a pretty good
knowledge of tools jamfile contents to know where
the libraries are going to end up.

c) if a jamfile is changed it seems that the libraries
may well endup in a different place. This would require
that any projects taht point to them - e.g. for linking
would have to be modified. In my particular case it
is convenient to use VC IDE to build projects linking
to prebuilt boost libraries. If the position of a library
changes - I have to go back and modify all the VC
projects that use it.

d) when no target is specified - e.g. runtime static
its not clear which version of the target is geneated.
Looking at the above, one can't determine what
kind of target libboost_filesystem.lib is - multi-threaded
single threaded etc.

e) one might just move them or link to them from
some other directory. That's not that easy as different
targets have the same name. Once they are moved
from the directory hierarchy information will be lost.

I would prefer that the defined hierarchy not change
when the jamfile is changed. This might result in
some extra levels of directory but it would be
preferable to the current situation.

Robert Ramey