From: Ronald Garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 18:02:44

Joerg Walter wrote:

> [...]
Yes. As it happens, I added support for a default-constructible
multi_array at the same time as I added the resize operation. Resizing
and default construction seemed tied together.

>- I don't like the necessity very much to 'typedef' multi_array's range
>- how does one distinguish multi_arrays from multi_array_views generically?

Currently there is no mechanism for doing so. When is this
functionality useful?

>And one from Kresimir Fresl:
>- how does one distinguish C storage and Fortran storage layout generically?

Since the storage layout is not part of an array's type, you cannot
distinguish the two generically (assuming that by generically you mean
"at compile time"). The multi_array has a storage_order member function
that returns the storage order object. This can be used at runtime to
determine the storage order of an array, though it is expressed in a
more general form than C or Fortran storage order.

Hope this helps,

ron