From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 20:31:54

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hurd, Matthew" <hurdm_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:53 AM
Subject: [boost] transparent marshalling

> I wish to do some transparent marshalling...
>
> That is, via a policy, or some such, either call a function / functor
> returning a void or put stuff on a message queue for transportation.
>
> This is strictly asynch stuff, hence the void result or putting the
message
> in the ether.
>
> The message queues I have in mind are tibrv, udp, tcp, shared mem, email,
> internal process queue/thread... The important point is boiling down to a
> function call or in-line equivalent with zero friction rather than a
corba,
> com, soap rpc.
>
> I see the serialization w.i.p. library will be useful here. Any tips on
> some useful boost libs / techniques to do this?

Cant offer any tips but can support your interest. A question though;

* have you looked at the state-machine work done by Andreas Huber

I ask because you mention "strictly asynch". Or are you hoping to
integrate "boost transparent marshalling" with your own async event
system?

If I am hearing you right then I think the combination of serialization and
state-machine would be interesting to you. Sadly no-one else is pushing
for this integration (BTW dont know of anything precluding it ;-)

And we are talking about WIP.

Would be interested in clarification of "function call or in-line equivalent
[..] zero friction". Thats because of some work I'm doing on a transparent
marshalling lib.

Cheers,
Scott