From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-30 05:31:36

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> "Phil Richards" <news_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > On 2003-10-24, Deane Yang <deane_yang_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > > I can't disagree with that, but from listening to the physicists
> explain
> > > their needs, I haven't heard anything that the physicists want that
> > > isn't also wanted by many of us non-physicists
[snip]
> > Why not start with what we know is wanted, and develop from that?
>
> I agree.
[snip]
>the first thing is to
> get a didactic definition of What this thing is, What it should do etc.
> So I will step back and attempt to work on that.
[snip]

I have provided a short overview to explain what the purpose of the type is
from the users point of view:
(There is potentially a lot more documentation to follow of course).

    http://www.servocomm.freeserve.co.uk/Cpp/physical_quantity/abstract.html

Naturally any comments,views and criticisms are appreciated.

One important point that is not mentioned in the above link is that
 implementation of the type (which I am now reasonably sure is practical )
is eminently suitable as a (practical realworld robust etc) platform for the
techniques currently being developed at boost.
The 'prototype' for a physical-quantity type , the inbuilt type, provides
formidable competition.

As to the Wiki. I have resolved to postpone that at the moment,
(finite time.. I will have to spend a lot of time to work out most effective
use of Wiki)
 and concentrate on trying to explain what I think are the basic mechanisms
in more (non implementational) detail.

Whether this project will blossom or fizzle out I don't know,
but I would like to thank everyone who has participated
 in the recent Physical Quantities and Dimensional Analysis threads.
I now have a much clearer view of what this thing is
... which I will attempt to convey in due course.

Andy Little
andy_at_[hidden]