From: Drazen DOTLIC (Drazen.Dotlic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-31 07:25:18

> > I'm using VC++ 7.1 on Win2k and I have build the regex and
> thread libs
> > using the IDE which means that /Zc:wchar_t is not by
> default enabled. Are
> > you
> > saying that it should be? Is this true for both libs or
> just regex? I mean
> > I'm having these
> > settings for some time now and everything worked just fine
> ... and I'm not
> > sure if
> > I should really add the /Zc:wchar_t to these libs.
>
> No, you should build the libraries with the same settings
> that your project
> will use, if your project doesn't use /Zc:wchat_t then
> neither must your lib
> builds.
>
> What I'm trying to determine is what the default behaviour of
> the Boost
> build system should be.

I was just writing the exact same answer, but you beat me to it :) My
company for example is _forced_ not to use this switch, even though we
would _like_ to use it, but as you said, because of the centralized
flags management, we can't separately turn it on for code dependent on
boost and off for other code that doesn't like it.
That said, IMHO it should be on by default. Without it, users will not
be able to use some of the features in the library - for example,
lexical_cast will not allow usage of wide streams unless this flag is
on.

Drazen