From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-04 13:11:43

At 12:40 PM 11/3/2003, E. Gladyshev wrote:

>--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>[...]
>
>> Have you read the analysis section of
>> http://www.boost.org/more/generic_exception_safety.html?
>>
>> The guarantees are abstractions which help you to reason about program
>> behavior hiding irrelevant details and highlighting important ones.
>
>Yes, I have. It is a great starting point.
>
>[...]
>> I think you should check out discussions of invariants in literature,
>> e.g. Bertrand Meyer's discussions of Eiffel. Then come back and
>> think of exception-safety in that context.
>>

>Thanks for the references. Is it a book?

Yes. "Object-Oriented Software Construction" by Bertrand Meyer. ISBN:
0136291554

Although the Eiffel language itself never had much market penetration, this
book had a tremendous influence on C++ and other programmer's thinking
about invariants, preconditions, postconditions, and similar reasoning
about objects and programs.

--Beman