From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-06 19:43:09

At 08:06 PM 11/5/2003, David Abrahams wrote:

>Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Is consistent naming across platforms important? I would have thought
>> naming consistent with the platform's usual conventions would be more
>> important.
>
>That is the question. How should we choose one over the other?
>
>[repeating info already posted: The usual conventions for Windows
>don't work for at least some Windows compilers (Cygwin GCC).]

Well, the first rule is "it has to work", so if Cygwin GCC needs a "lib"
prefix, it has to get a "lib" prefix. That trumps the "usual conventions
for the platform" rule.

Now Cygwin GCC may be enough reason to use the "lib" prefix for all Windows
compilers. But I don't know any law that says individual compilers can't
have their own conventions. Let's say Backwards Compilers, Inc, ships a
Windows compiler that requires "bil" as the prefix. We'll have to support
both "lib" and "bil".

--Beman