From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-08 09:13:38

Hello!

It looks like you have implemented some more things since the last
discussions and it looks great from my view point. And I really like what I
see.

And as far for the things Jessie has done the sockstream was att level 3 and
wasn't there an error policy in the sockets library in the sandbox. At least
there should be one and Jesses work will come in handy.

I don't really know how to get the ball rolling on this one. But as I see it
to get some initial comments we need some kind of documentation besides the
proof of concept, and we need verification that the asynch stuff can be
implemented on some other platform (linux maybe)? From the document and
proof of concept we could get input and maybe get some momentum?

Regards
/Michel
PS
I've been busy the last 6 month with a newborn daughter, a 600 km move to
new home, starting work in another country, so thats why I haven't put down
the time needed. But now I need a C++ project not to get rusty as my daytime
work is almost completely .NET and C# :(
DS

"Hugo Duncan" <hugoduncan_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> [...]
> - user connection handlers must either
> x implement a concept (no virtual functions, no boost functions)
> x implement a virtual interface (polymorphic run time handlers)
> x implement a concept (boost functions - handler type changeable
> at run time)
>
> - policy based handling of the logical
> (connection/acceptor/connector)
> error_codes
> - connection closure policies (handler notification and self
> deletion
> are the two implemented policies)
>
> Implementation independent wrapper for Reactor and Proactor
>
> The Connector, Acceptor and Connection classes are useable with
either
> reactor or proactor with no change to the user handler classes.
>
> Acceptor, connector type generators that allow switching between
> sockets
> and named_pipes with a single typedef.
>

> This is "proof of concept" code, and works (with compiler warnings) on
> VC++ 7.1
>
> Examples included are an echo server (included below), and a "ping pong"
> server
> and client.
>
> The ping pong server accepts both socket and named pipe connections, and
> maintains
> a list of connections.
>
> The client connects on both a socket and on a named pipe. Connections are
> auto deleted.
>
> I will be offline until Monday.
>

> Hugo
>

> //// Echo server
>
> namespace socket = boost::net::socket ;
> namespace net = boost::net ;
>
> class echo_server;
> class echo_acceptor;
>
> namespace
> {
> const int buf_size(1024);
> }
>
> class echo_connection;
>
> //! select which demultiplexer to use
> // typedef net::proactor<> demultiplexer_t;
> typedef net::reactor<> demultiplexer_t;
>
> typedef socket::connection<
> demultiplexer_t,
> demultiplexer_t::synchronisation_type,
> socket::default_error_policy,
> net::connection_handler_typed<echo_connection>
> > socket_connection_t;
>
> typedef socket::acceptor<
> demultiplexer_t
> , demultiplexer_t::synchronisation_type
> , socket_connection_t
> > socket_acceptor_peer;
>
> typedef net::acceptor<
> socket_acceptor_peer,
> echo_server
> > socket_acceptor_t;
>

> //! Echo connection class
> class echo_connection
> {
> public:
> typedef net::connection<socket_connection_t> connection_t;
> typedef socket_connection_t connection_peer;
>
> //! Constructor from underlying connection peer object
> echo_connection(connection_peer* connection) : data(connection, this)
{}