From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-12 12:54:43

Pavol Droba wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:28:05PM +1100, Matthew Hurd wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>Convenience and speed for the user versus a more complicated library...
>>
>>I can't see how to inject this into std to make it practical for a user...
>>it would have to be the library writer. Is that true? Beyond me...
>>

> In my opinion, the benefits are not worth the extra complication in this case.
> I cannot realy imagine much more that could be optimized in addtion to string concatenation.
>
> In in this case there is an easy way for optimazation, when it is required (using +=).
> So if the performance does matter, user has a simple solution.
> If the performance is not important, there is not need for complication, that such
> a framework would bring.

Indeed. For the purpose of this optimization, a string algorithm could be used ;)
Also, I guess for those that are interested in optimizing such expressions,
there should be another way IMO.

Allow making two or more containers of *the same type*, seem like a continuous
range.
We could then have something similar to:

s = concatenate( a, b, c);

This will also be much more general, allowing to copy two deques into a range,
or something similar.

But more on that, when we (Matt Wilson and me) will present the first version of
rtl (Ranges Template Library) ;)

Best,
John