From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-14 10:08:05

Robert,
the basic_binany_iarchive::read_binary has the following code inside:

        assert(count == static_cast<size_t>(is.gcount()));^M
        assert(is.good());^M

I believe it's not the right way to handle problems with reading. If the input
data is bogus, I want exception to be thrown, rather than get invalid data in
release mode, and instant crash in debug mode.

May I suggest that all reading errors cause an exception to be thrown. I'd
like that exception class to include position in stream where problem was
detected, to facilitate debugging, so it probably shold be separate class
derived from archive_exception.

What do you think?

- Volodya