From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-16 06:35:35

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote

>>Please limit the amount of text you quote in your posts.
>

> I can do that. Is there a reason?

Yes. Many readers will save time when they do not have
to find out which exact part of a previous message you
are responding to.

> Is there a better approach that is normally followed, e.g. summary post,
> including link to long blithersome form?

A common (and very useful, IMHO,) approach is to cite the
small fractions of the message you are actually responding
to and to put your response directly beneath each citation.

There is no real technical need for a summary post and
a summary post is only needed after a long discussion,
esp. when the topic is drifting or a result has been
achieved in a discussion.
The mail system will do the tracking that is needed to
enable mail readers to display message threads (and every
decent mail reader supports that)

If you ever have to refer to single message earlier in
a thread or in a different thread then you can use a
URL to the archives of gmane.org or SF.net. (The Boost site
has links to these, I think). tinyurl.com helps to keep
those URLs short. Citing the relevant portion of a message
you link to is often helpful (if the citation is small).

Don't forget, it's a single writer but there are many readers.
So, saving some time for the readers is worth spending extra
time when writing a message.

Regards,