From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-17 17:01:34

At 10:57 AM 11/16/2003, David Abrahams wrote:

>I am reluctant to cater to every possible warning. This is an example
>of one which often flags perfectly good code.

When it is required that code compile without triggering warning X, in
effect the C++ language has been changed to no longer allow whatever is
triggering X.

That's OK, if X is virtually always a programming problem. But if it is
sometimes perfectly good code, then I wouldn't want to see that warning
enabled.

> Should we try to come
>to a concensus about this? Should we go the other direction, and
>simply enable all warnings in our Boost.Build toolsets?

No. Only enable warnings for conditions which are actually errors the
overwhelming majority of the time.

--Beman